How to conduct a DIY test for hollow sounding floor tiles
An easy way to test for hollow sounding floor tiles, is to give them a light knock or tap. You can use the handle of a screwdriver or lightly tap with a coin or a ball bearing. However, please ensure you never tap the tiles too hard, especially if you think they are hollow underneath. As tapping too hard may result in chipping or cracking of the tile. Watch the video below of what to listen for in our – Before and After Tile Injection Repair video.
Usually people will notice the echoing or hollow sound coming from their tiles in high traffic areas. This is usually first noticed from walking on the tiles with harder soled shoes on. Some clients notice grout begins to crack or chip. They often assume that the grout is just old and worn. In most cases chipped, cracked or loose grout is the first sign your tiles are delaminating.
Drummy tiles can rapidly present themselves as a hazard to you and your family. Leaving a hollow sounding floor tile for too long increases the pressure under the floor. Increasing pressure under the floor can cause tiles to crack, pop or tent – often with very sharp edges. Do not delay in repairs.
Why Is This Happening?
Here, we have listed the main reasons for hollow sounding floor tiles:
- There was insufficient adhesive applied to the tiles when they were first laid. Floor tiles must have full coverage upon initial installation. Many floors we have found to be drummy have only been spot-fixed. This results in huge voids between the substrate and tile
- The tile and adhesive have debonded or separated from the substrate creating the void
- The tile has debonded from the adhesive and the substrate creating the void
- Over time certain certain glues will deteriorate
- Movement in the slab or substrate (expansion, contraction, ground or foundation movement)
- Water damage such as flooding
- Lack of or no expansion joints used, causing pressure amongst the tiles. Which can result in tiles not only debonding but floor tiles popping and buckling.
Before and After Tile Injection Repair
Hollow sounding floor tiles – tap test – Before and After Tile Injection Repair
If you suspect your floor tiles are drummy or delaminated please contact us today and book in your free assessment and quote – CLICK HERE
If you suspect your floor tiles just need a regrout contact the guys at GroutPro – CLICK HERE