5 Quick Tips for Floor Tile Care
*Some tips apply to drummy tile care
- Finding your floors are drummy or hollow sounding? This is when your floor tiles are at their weakest state. You must not drop any heavy objects on them otherwise, they are prone to cracking and breaking very easily. Also, try not to rest any furniture on any tiles you may think are hollow underneath or again your tiles are susceptible to cracks.
- Need to move some furniture around the home? If possible, try to avoid dragging any heavier pieces across your tiles, as this may scratch the tiles. If you can try to lift with two or more people or use some Floor Protection Feet, Furniture Sliders or Heavy Duty Felt Pads. You can pick these up at any of the major hardware stores.
- Thinking about having some new tiles laid? When it comes time to buy, ensure you always purchase a few extra tiles than you need (have some left over). This is just in case that line or brand of tiles become depleted, you will then have some spares if those little accidents do happen.
- Clean your tiles regularly with a non-abrasive cleaner. Try to sweep or vacuum first (prior to mopping) this will remove any sand or grit that could cause surface scratches.
- Heavy traffic areas. As mentioned in tip 1. Drummy or hollow floor tiles are at their weakest in this state. This leaves your tiles vulnerable to chips or cracks in high traffic areas. So try to get these area repaired as soon as possible.